Give this silky soup a spooky touch with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper and finely dice. Peel and chop the onion. Halve the jalapeño, remove the seeds, and mince. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño and cook for 5 min. until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Add the cumin, vegetable broth, and black beans with their liquid to the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt and lime juice; pour into a resealable plastic bag. Make a small cut in the corner of the plastic bag.
- Remove the soup from the heat and purée until smooth using a hand blender or in batches in a blender. Season with salt (in moderation) and pepper. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Make 3 circle rings in the bowl using the yogurt mixture. Drag a toothpick from the center of the bowl to the edge of the bowl in 1-inch intervals to create the spiderweb.
- October 2017