Airy treats dipped in chocolate and blanched almonds make for a delicious and gluten-free dessert.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup roasted salted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in the sugar and almond extract. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer meringue batter to a piping bag and pipe onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in bite-size drops. Bake 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven another 1 hour. Remove and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 30 sec. intervals for 1-2 min., until melted, stirring between intervals. Finely chop the almonds and place in a shallow bowl. Dip the bottoms of the meringues in the chocolate and then the almonds. Place meringues on the baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate sets.
- December 2017
- A Homemade Holiday Cookbook