This is a homey, satisfying dish that is perfect for using up bread that’s a little past its prime.
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 oz ham
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) bag triple-washed spinach
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place bread slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 min. turning once, until crisp. While bread toasts, dice the onion and red bell pepper. Cut the ham into strips.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high and cook onion and pepper 3 min. Add the spinach and 2 tbsp water and cook for 3 min., until wilted. Increase heat to cook off any liquid in the pan and remove from heat. Stir in the ham and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice the bread slices in half diagonally and place in an overlapping pattern in a greased 9x9-inch baking dish. Top with the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and oregano.
- Bake 15 min., until golden and crisp.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake strata 15–20 min., until cheese is melted and strata is warm in center.
- Toast bread slices 8 min.. Cool and slice bread.
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Cut ham into strips. In skillet, cook onion and pepper in oil on medium-high 3 min.
- Add spinach and 2 tbsp water. Cook 5 min. Stir in ham, salt, and pepper.
- In greased baking dish, add bread slices in overlapping pattern. Top with spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and oregano.
- November 2017
- Calories 462kcal 23%
- Fat 22.1g 34%
- Saturated fat 8.1g 41%
- Carbs 41.5g 14%
- Sodium 850mg 35%
- 7.7g sugar
- 8.1g fiber
- 25.1g protein
- 50mg cholesterol