Sweet pineapple gets coated in caramel and layered with ice cream for the perfect quick dessert.
- 2 ½ cups fresh pineapple chunks
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp rum (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups vanilla or butter pecan ice cream
- ½ cup whipped cream
- Cut the pineapple into smaller cubes. In a large nonstick skillet, toast the almonds on medium 4 min., until golden, stirring constantly. Wipe out skillet.
- In same skillet, melt the butter on medium. Add brown sugar, vanilla, rum (optional), and salt and cook 2 min., until sugar has dissolved, stirring. Add pineapple, stirring to coat. Cook 5 min., until tender and liquid is syrupy. Let cool completely.
- Add ½ cup ice cream to each of 4 tall sundae or parfait glasses. Spoon some of the pineapple mixture on top and sprinkle with 1 tbsp almonds. Repeat layering, then top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted almonds.
- February 2018