This creamy rice dish—featuring peas and asparagus—comes together without the usual constant stirring. Top with chives for a pop of freshness.
- 2 oz chopped pancetta
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cups Arborio rice
- 1 (32 oz) container reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas (thawed, if frozen)
- ¼ cup pesto
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a medium pot, cook the pancetta on medium 4–5 min., until fat has rendered, stirring often. Add the onions and garlic. Cook 4 min., until onions are tender. Add the rice and cook 1 min., stirring constantly.
- To the same pot, stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits. Heat to a simmer on high. Transfer contents of pot to the bowl of a slow cooker. Season with salt. Cover and cook on high 30 min. Uncover and stir rice. Cover and continue cooking 30 min.
- Meanwhile, trim the bottom inch of the asparagus and cut stalks into 1-inch pieces. After 1 hour of cooking, stir the asparagus and peas into the rice mixture. Cover and cook another 30 min., until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in pesto, Parmesan, lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
All slow cookers heat up differently, so check your risotto for doneness after 1 hour. If it’s fully cooked, microwave the asparagus and peas, covered, with 2 tbsp water to steam. Drain and stir into slow cooker to avoid overcooking the rice.
- Guiding Stars
- April 2022
- April 2018