Buttery cabbage and sweet apple make the perfect accompaniment for savory pierogies in this comforting dish.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen onion pierogis
- ½ small head savoy cabbage
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) butter
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- Boil or sauté the pierogies according to package directions. Core and thinly slice the cabbage.
- While pierogies cook, in a 12-inch skillet, heat the butter on medium 3–4 min., until golden brown and fragrant, stirring often. Add the onions and cook 2 min. Add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook 7 min., until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- While cabbage cooks, core the apple and cut into thin wedges. Chop the parsley. Stir the apple into the cabbage. Cook, uncovered, 2 min. Toss pierogies with cabbage and top with a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with parsley.
- guiding star
- April 2018