While Japanese cuisine is often associated with sushi and ramen, grilled meat skewers called yakitori are also a popular tradition.
- 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bunch green onions
- Bamboo skewers, soaked
- Peel and grate the ginger. In a medium bowl, combine the ginger, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, and pepper. Trim any excess fat from the chicken. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks and add to bowl with marinade. Toss to coat, then let stand 10 min., or refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Heat grill to medium. Trim the green onions and cut into 1-inch lengths. Onto skewers, thread chicken and green onions, alternating. Place skewers on grill and brush with any remaining marinade. Grill 10 min., turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
Soak wooden skewers in water for about 10 minutes before using to keep them from burning on the grill.
- May 2018
- May 2022