Salty prosciutto balances the sweetness of watermelon and sherry vinegar in this twist on an Italian bread salad.
- 1 French baguette
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- ½ small red onion
- 2 cups watermelon chunks
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 (8 oz) container fresh baby mozzarella balls (ciliegine)
- 1 (4 oz) pkg prosciutto
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Tear the baguette into 1-inch chunks. Toss with 2 tbsp oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in an even layer onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10 min., until golden and toasted, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes. Chop the cucumber. Finely chop the onion and cut the watermelon into smaller cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 4 tbsp oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, watermelon, and toasted bread cubes. Toss to combine and arrange on a large platter.
- Drain the mozzarella balls, tear the prosciutto into ribbons, and slice the basil. To serve, arrange mozzarella, prosciutto, and basil on top of salad.
- June 2018