White whole wheat flour and applesauce help bump up the nutrients in this super moist snack cake that features an effortless cream cheese frosting.
- 2 large carrots
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment. Coarsely grate the carrots (1 cup needed).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, oil, and brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs until smooth. Stir in the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Fold in carrots and transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake 20 min., until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Use edges of parchment to remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, with hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and 1 tbsp warm water until smooth. Once cake has cooled, spread with cream cheese frosting and cut into squares.
- September 2018