This dessert is easy to whip up with just a few pantry staples like nutty oats, warm spices, and brown sugar.
- 6 small Pink Lady or Gala apples
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim ½ inch off the tops of the apples and scoop out the cores, leaving the bottoms intact. Arrange on a large microwave-safe plate. Cover with plastic and microwave 3 min.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, ¼ cup brown sugar, oats, and salt. Cut 4 tbsp butter into small pieces and work into flour mixture with hands until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Transfer apples to a large baking dish. Add ½ cup water to dish. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup sugar and apple pie spice and divide among apple cavities. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake 10 min.
- Remove foil and fill each apple with streusel topping, pushing into cavities. Top with remaining 2 tbsp butter. Bake another 15 min., until apples are tender and streusel is golden brown.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- October 2018