Ooey, gooey Gruyère cheese and leftover veggies from your Thanksgiving prep make this tasty breakfast bake an easy way to feed all your overnight guests the day after the big feast.
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onions
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 medium Italian loaf
- 1 ½ cups grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- Grease a 3-qt baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Beat in the milk.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add the celery, onion, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 min., until beginning to soften, stirring often. Remove from heat. Squeeze out all excess moisture from spinach and stir into onion mixture.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and add to bowl with eggs. Toss until bread is well coated.
- Stir in vegetable mixture and 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Uncover and bake 30–35 min., until eggs have set.
- November 2018