Forget everything you thought you knew about fruitcake. This updated version, featuring a buttery pound cake packed with dried fruits, is sure to please.
- 1 ¼ cups chopped mixed dried fruit, such as dates, apricots, pineapple, and cranberries
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 ½ cups red and green candied cherries
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the dried fruit and ½ cup water. Microwave 1 min.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the baking powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, stopping and scraping side of bowl.
- In two batches, beat in the flour and cranberry juice, alternating between the two. Stir in the dried fruit and its soaking liquid, and the candied cherries.
- Thoroughly grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. Transfer batter to pan and bake 1 hour 20 min.–1 hour 30 min., until a skewer inserted into center comes out clean, rotating the pan halfway through cooking time.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 min. Loosen edges with mini offset spatula or butter knife. Cover top with wire rack and turn over to release from pan.
For extra pizzazz, stir in 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans when you add the dried fruits to the batter.
- December 2018