Crunchy potato tots are the stars of this delectable casserole. Assemble it the night before and pop it in the oven the next morning for a hearty breakfast.
- 12 oz maple-flavored breakfast sausage links
- ½ cup diced onions
- 6 oz chunk Cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- Cooking spray
- 1 (32 oz) bag frozen tater bites, divided
- Remove the sausage meat from casings. To a 12-inch skillet, add sausage meat and onions. Cook 10 min. on medium-high, until sausage is browned and onions are soft, breaking up sausage with back of spoon. Drain any excess fat. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, grate the Cheddar. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Stir in 1 cup grated cheese and sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 3-qt baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half of tater bites in an even layer and pour egg mixture over top. Arrange remaining tater bites over eggs. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 40–45 min., until eggs are set and top is golden. Let cool 10 min., before slicing.
- From Freezer to Table Cookbook
- December 2018