Known as avgolemono, this hearty Greek soup uses eggs to thicken the broth. Chicken and orzo make it a satisfying meal.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup uncooked orzo
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- In a large saucepot, combine the broth and water. Cover and heat to a boil on high. Add the orzo and cook until al dente according to package directions, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs until smooth. Gradually whisk in the lemon juice until incorporated. Slowly whisk ⅓ cup of the hot broth into eggs.
- Gradually stir egg mixture into remaining broth. Add the chicken. Cook 2–3 min., until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For extra pizzazz, garnish with thin lemon slices and chopped dill.
- guiding star
- February 2019