This stunning starter features the classic combo of smoked salmon, caraway seed–studded croutons, and lemon in the form of a salad.
- 8 slices seeded rye bread
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- 1 medium shallot
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 (5 oz) pkgs spring mix salad greens
- 8 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the rye into ½-inch cubes. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss rye with 2 tbsp oil and season with salt. Bake 15–20 min., until crispy, stirring halfway through. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, chop the capers and shallot. Place both in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, Dijon, and remaining 3 tbsp oil. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, arrange the greens on a large serving platter. Tear the salmon into ribbons and drape among greens. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with croutons.
- April 2019