Cooking carrots whole keeps them juicy, while the caramelization of the hot oven concentrates their sweetness. Savory bread crumbs provide crunch and balance.
- 2 lbs medium carrots
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Peel and trim the carrots. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet and tightly cover with foil. Roast 20 min.
- Remove the foil and roast carrots another 20 min., until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the walnuts more finely. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining 3 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add the bread crumbs and walnuts and cook 3–4 min., until golden, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely. Stir in the gorgonzola, lemon zest, and parsley.
- Transfer carrots to a platter and top with bread crumbs to serve.
- April 2019
- guiding star