Fried rice is the perfect blank canvas for any veggie odds and ends you have lying around, as well as any leftover rice you have in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small bell pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 12 oz peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Finely chop the onion. Chop the bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli. Pat the shrimp dry.
- In a large wok or deep 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the shrimp and cook 2–3 min., until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- To same skillet, add the onion and bell pepper. Cook 2 min., stirring often. Reduce heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, broccoli, and ¼ cup water, scraping up any browned bits. Season with the salt. Cover skillet and cook 3–4 min., until broccoli stems are tender, stirring occasionally.
- To same skillet, stir in the spinach until wilted. Increase heat to high. Add the soy sauce, then the rice and shrimp. Cook 3 min., until rice is hot, stirring constantly. Season with salt to taste.
- April 2019
- guiding star