Inspired by Tuscan ribollita, this comforting stew is thickened with leftover bread and features wallet-friendly beans and kale.
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium leek
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 4 cups packed chopped fresh kale
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups torn stale crusty bread
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan
- Chop the carrots and celery. Chop the leek and thoroughly soak and rinse in a bowl of water to remove grit.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add the leek, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme. Cook 8 min., until leeks are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to slow cooker bowl.
- To slow cooker bowl, add the kale, broth, bread, and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high 3–4 hours, until bread has completely fallen apart. Serve topped with the Parmesan.
- April 2019