The key to getting this irresistible potato kugel perfectly crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside is preheating your cast-iron skillet in the oven and using starchy russet potatoes.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes
- 2 bunches green onions
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Peel and quarter the potatoes, placing in a large bowl of cold water. Finely chop the green onions.
- Using the shredding disk attachment on a food processor or the large holes of a box grater, shred the potatoes. Working quickly, add shredded potatoes to a large salad spinner basket and lightly rinse. Spin to remove all excess liquid. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl, along with green onions.
- To potato mixture, add the eggs, potato starch, and 2 tbsp oil. Season with the salt and pepper. Mix until potato strands are well coated. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil to a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and place in the preheated oven. Heat for 5 min.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and spread potato mixture into even layer in pan. Bake 20 min. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and bake 30–40 min., until top is golden and potatoes are tender.
If you don't have a salad spinner, lightly rinse the potatoes in a colander and let sit 10 min. to drain, then place in a kitchen towel and squeeze out any liquid.
- April 2019
- Guiding Stars
- April 2022