This sweet and savory dish combines crispy French toast and a ham and cheese sandwich, making it an irresistible meal any time.
- 1 ¼ cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 8 slices hearty white sandwich bread
- ¼ lb thinly sliced reduced-sodium ham
- 8 slices light Swiss cheese
- Arrange oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source. Heat broiler on high. Place a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a wide shallow baking dish, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil on medium. In batches, dip some of the bread slices into the milk mixture until just soaked but not falling apart. Letting excess milk drip back into dish, transfer bread slices to skillet. Cook 2–3 min. per side, until browned. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining bread and milk mixture.
- Divide the ham among French toast slices. Top each with 1 slice Swiss. Broil until cheese melts and browns slightly. Season with pepper.
Serve with syrup for a sweeter treat!
- S4 2019
- Calories 400kcal 20%
- Fat 13.0g 20%
- Saturated fat 4.3g 21%
- Carbs 40.9g 14%
- Sodium 644mg 27%
- 12.1g sugar
- 1.8g fiber
- 30.3g protein
- 128mg cholesterol