No one needs to know how easy it was to pull off this sophisticated salad that features carrot ribbons and crispy chorizo.
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup finely diced dried chorizo sausage
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 (5 oz) pkg baby kale
- 1 (10 oz) pkg chopped romaine
- With a vegetable peeler, peel long ribbons from carrots. In a large bowl, whisk ⅔ cup vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt, until salt and sugar dissolve. Add carrots and stir to submerge. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch skillet on medium. Add the chorizo and oil. Cook 5–6 min., until chorizo is crispy, stirring often. With a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a small bowl.
- Into skillet, off the heat, whisk in remaining ⅓ cup vinegar and ½ tsp sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain carrots. In a large serving bowl, toss carrots with the baby kale, romaine, and chorizo. When ready to serve, drizzle salad with vinaigrette and toss until well coated.
Carrots and dressing can be made and refrigerated up to 1 day in advance. Microwave the vinaigrette until runny.
- Savory November 2019
- Calories 239kcal 12%
- Fat 21.5g 33%
- Saturated fat 4.5g 22%
- Carbs 8.5g 3%
- Sodium 568mg 24%
- 4.9g sugar
- 1.1g fiber
- 5.0g protein
- 19mg cholesterol