Steaming the spud in the microwave speeds up the cook time for this vegetarian take on a Tex-Mex classic. Feel free to serve with your favorite garnishes like sour cream or cilantro.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 oz)
- 1 (15.5 oz) can Nature's Promise Organic Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Cooking spray
- 8 small (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¾ cup prepared salsa
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Peel and chop the sweet potato into ½-inch chunks. Add to a medium microwave-safe bowl with 3 tbsp water. Cover with vented plastic and microwave 6–8 min., until very tender.
- With a fork, mash sweet potato until mostly smooth. Fold in the black beans and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and coat with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortillas in a single layer on baking sheet. Spread sweet potato mixture onto tortillas. Top each with ½ cup cheese and remaining tortilla. Lightly coat tops of tortillas with cooking spray.
- Bake 12 min., until tortillas are golden brown and crisp around edges, turning over once. Cut quesadillas into quarters. Serve with the salsa.
- sweet potato
- Savory November 2019
- In Season
- black beans
- Calories 562kcal 28%
- Fat 22.8g 35%
- Saturated fat 12.7g 63%
- Carbs 62.5g 21%
- Sodium 1520mg 63%
- 7.3g sugar
- 12.0g fiber
- 27.8g protein
- 55mg cholesterol