The slow cooker tackles the most time-consuming element to French onion soup—caramelizing the onions until they are super tender and sweet.
- 3 tbsp butter, cubed
- 3 lbs yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (32 oz) container low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 12 slices whole wheat French bread
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Add the butter and onions to a 6- to 7-qt slow cooker bowl. Season with salt. Cover and cook on low 4 hours, until onions are caramelized.
- To slow cooker bowl, add the broth, water, bay leaves, thyme, and garlic. Cook on high 4 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving, preheat broiler. Place the bread slices on a foil-lined baking sheet. Divide the cheese among bread slices. Broil 2–3 min., until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Discard bay leaves from soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soup with cheese toasts.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- January 2020
- guiding star
- Egg Free