Shredded carrots provide moisture and sweetness in this one-bowl layer cake. Topped with cream cheese frosting, it’s a spring dessert that’s sure to impress all your guests.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped pecans or walnuts, divided
- 1 ½ (16 oz) containers cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into dry, stirring just until combined. Fold in the grated carrots and 1 cup nuts. Divide the batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake 30–35 min., until a toothpick inserted in the cake’s center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 min. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Arrange 1 layer on cake plate. Spread 1 cup frosting on top. Top with second layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Decorate top of cake with remaining ½ cup nuts.
Use orange and green cookie icing to draw carrots on the top of cake.
This recipe is
- April 2020
- Calories 558kcal 28%
- Fat 29.0g 45%
- Saturated fat 4.1g 21%
- Carbs 72.7g 24%
- Sodium 398mg 17%
- 54.7g sugar
- 2.3g fiber
- 4.7g protein
- 36mg cholesterol