Make the most of spring with this 5-ingredient appetizer that features steamed artichokes and a creamy sauce for dipping.
- 4 fresh artichokes
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Remove outermost layer of leaves from the artichokes. Trim tops and bottoms of artichokes so they sit flat. Snip pointy tips from each leaf.
- Cut the lemon in half and rub over cut parts of artichokes (reserving lemon halves). Add 2 inches of water to a medium pot. Place artichokes in pot, arranging so they sit upright. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and cook artichokes 25 min., until tender, adjusting heat as needed to maintain simmer.
- Meanwhile, stir together the mayonnaise, soy sauce, and chives. Squeeze in 1½ tbsp lemon juice from lemon halves. Stir in 2 tsp water until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To eat, pull off each artichoke leaf and dip in mayonnaise.
For easy trimming, use kitchen shears to trim the leaves and a serrated knife to cut off the top ½ inch and bottoms of artichokes. Use a spoon to remove the fuzzy inedible choke from each cooked artichoke.
This recipe is
- April 2020
- Dairy Free
- Five Ingredient
- 5 ingredient
- take 5
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free