This easy yet elegant chicken dinner takes its inspiration from the best parts of French onion soup—sweet caramelized onions and gooey Swiss cheese.
- 1 ¼ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp chicken broth base
- 4 oz Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 loaf French bread
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with the flour to coat.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch oven-safe skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add chicken and cook 5 min. per side, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet, along with the onions and thyme. Cook 7–8 min., until onions are golden, stirring often. Meanwhile, microwave the water until very hot. Stir in the chicken base until dissolved.
- To skillet, stir in the water–chicken base mixture. Return chicken to skillet. Spoon liquid and onions over chicken. Sprinkle cheese on top. Transfer to oven and bake 15 min., until cheese melts and chicken is cooked through. Serve with the bread.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- October November 2021
- Egg Free