Halloween has never been cuter than this (completely edible) spooky haunted house scene. The black bean dip can be made ahead up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated before assembling.
- 3 (15 oz) cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ¼ cups jarred salsa verde
- ¼ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Haunted House Platter
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 3 shredded wheat crackers, such as Triscuit, plus more for dipping
- ¼ yellow bell pepper
- 3 pitted black olives
- 1 large (10-inch) spinach or whole wheat wrap
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- Celery, cut into sticks
- Bell peppers, sliced
- To prepare dip: In a food processor, purée the black beans, salsa, cilantro, lime juice, and cumin until smooth. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- To make haunted house platter: Using a small ghost-shaped cutter (or with knife), cut ghost shapes out of the cheese slices. With skewer or chopstick, poke holes for eyes and mouth. Break the crackers into narrow sticks. From the yellow bell pepper, cut out crescent moon shape and small stars. Halve 1 black olive lengthwise. Cut 16 thin slivers from remaining olives.
- When ready to serve, spread black bean dip in smooth layer in a rectangular dish. From the wrap, with kitchen shears and/or tip of paring knife, cut outline of a house. Cut out 4 windows. Arrange the “house” on top of bean dip. Arrange cracker sticks over windows. Arrange ghosts, moon, and stars above house on top of bean dip.
- To make spiderwebs, place the sour cream in a small resealable plastic bag and snip a very small hole in corner. On sides of house, pipe bull’s-eye patterns. Drag toothpick from center to outer edge to create web pattern. Arrange olives near spiderwebs to form spiders. Serve dip with additional vegetables and crackers for dipping.
For a simpler version, spread the dip in a platter and only create spiderwebs and spiders on top.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Oct/Nov 2020
- Egg Free