Protein-packed chickpeas and sweet tomatoes cling to pasta shells in this satisfying 20-minute vegetarian dinner.
- 12 oz pasta shells
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced, lighter and darker green parts separated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high. Cook the pasta shells according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid before draining pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the white and light green onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Season with salt. Cook 2–3 min., until green onions and garlic are golden, stirring often.
- To skillet, add the chickpeas. With potato masher, gently press down on chickpeas until mostly mashed. Stir in the tomatoes. Cook 3–4 min., until chickpeas and tomatoes are warm, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- After draining pasta, return to pot and add chickpea mixture. Toss to combine. Stir in reserved cooking liquid as needed, ¼ cup at a time. Add the Parmesan cheese and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with darker green onions.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Budget Friendly
- December 2020
- Guiding Stars
- $10 Meals
- Egg Free
- Calories 568kcal 28%
- Fat 16.0g 25%
- Saturated fat 4.0g 20%
- Carbs 85.0g 28%
- Sodium 482mg 20%
- 8.0g sugar
- 9.0g fiber
- 21.0g protein
- 7mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?