Roasting low and slow transforms an inexpensive cut of beef into a succulently tender piece of beef in this sheet pan dinner that makes enough for two meals.
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (2 - 2 ¼ lb) eye of round beef roast
- 1 lb golden potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into ½-inch chunks
- In a gallon-size resealable bag, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic powder, and 2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beef to bag. Seal bag, pressing out air. Toss to coat beef. Place in a dish and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours, turning meat over 2–3 times.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, carrots, and onion with remaining 2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread in even layer at the bottom of a roasting pan. Roast vegetables 15 min. Remove beef from marinade and pat off excess (discard remaining marinade). Season with salt and pepper. Stir vegetables and position roasting rack in pan. Place beef on rack. Roast beef with vegetables 30 min.
- Decrease oven temperature to 300°F. Roast 1 hour to 1 hour 10 min., until vegetables are tender and beef is desired doneness (135°F for medium-rare). Remove from oven and let beef stand at least 10 min.
- Very thinly slice beef and serve with the vegetables.
To serve as a meal for 4 later in the week, reserve ½ of roasted beef. Stir together ¼ cup light mayonnaise, 1 tbsp prepared horseradish, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Spread on 8 slices whole-grain bread. Very thinly slice reserved beef and add to sandwiches, along with tomato slices and lettuce.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- guiding star
- January 2021
- Lactose Free