This spicy Italian inspired mac and cheese is prepared with creamy fontina cheese and Parmesan for a flavorful pasta.
- 16 oz Ronzoni® Medium shell
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups 2% milk
- 2 cups fontina cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 2 tbsp Calabrian chili paste
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle in flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Continue to whisk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in fontina and 1/3 cup Parmesan until melted. Stir in chili paste.
- Toss in pasta, reserved pasta water, basil and chives until sauce clings to pasta well. Serve with remaining Parmesan.
Sauté 1/2 cup diced Italian style salami in olive oil for a few minutes until lightly golden and stir into mac and cheese if desired.
Recipe provided by Ronzoni Pasta
- Calories 590kcal 30%
- Fat 23.0g 35%
- Saturated fat 13.5g 67%
- Carbs 66.7g 22%
- Sodium 615mg 26%
- 8.9g sugar
- 2.8g fiber
- 28.1g protein
- 72mg cholesterol