With the addition of crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and cracked black pepper, this luscious mac and cheese with shrimp delivers nice layers of heat that will wake up your taste buds.
- 16 oz Ronzoni® Large elbows
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 ¼ lb peeled and deveined medium shrimp, tail removed (21-25 count)
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups 3.25% homogenized milk
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups Asiago cheese, grated and divided
- 1 cup mild white cheddar, shredded
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet set over medium heat. Cook shrimp, green onions, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, red pepper flakes and smoked paprika for 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, curl and cooked through; remove from heat; set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Continue to whisk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in pepper, remaining salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Remove sauce from heat. Stir in 1 cup Asiago and Cheddar until melted.
- Toss in pasta and reserved pasta water until well coated. Transfer to greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, remaining each Asiago and oil; sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Serve with your favorite hot sauce for extra spicy mac and cheese.
Recipe provided by Ronzoni Pasta
- Calories 730kcal 37%
- Fat 29.1g 45%
- Saturated fat 12.7g 64%
- Carbs 73.2g 24%
- Sodium 1484mg 62%
- 9.2g sugar
- 3.1g fiber
- 41.6g protein
- 251mg cholesterol