This filling soup makes the most of frozen corn and russet potatoes for a cheap but crowd-pleasing dinner.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 (32 oz) container Nature's Promise Organic vegetable broth
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 ½ lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and bacon. Cook 12–15 min., until onion is tender and bacon is browned, stirring often. Add the thyme and butter. Cook until butter is melted.
- Into pot, sprinkle the flour over melted butter. Cook 2–3 min., until flour is no longer dry, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the broth and ½ cup water until smooth. Stir in the corn and potatoes. Partially cover and heat to a simmer on high. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 12–14 min., until potatoes are tender.
- Whisk in the milk. Heat to a simmer and cook 3 min., until heated through and slightly thickened, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with the chives, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Budget Friendly
- April 2021
- $10 Meals
- Egg Free