With a yogurt-based frosting and fruit decorations instead of candy, this reduced-sugar bunny cake is a guilt-free Easter dessert that’s sure to be the centerpiece of your holiday table.
- 1 (15.2 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ - ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8 oz) pkg reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Sliced strawberries, banana slices, blueberries, and carrot matchsticks, to decorate
- Prepare the cake according to package directions for two round 9-inch cake pans, using the water, oil, and eggs. Let cakes cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and yogurt until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually mix in the confectioners’ sugar a little at a time until smooth and fluffy.
- Arrange 1 cooled cake round on a parchment-lined sheet pan or board as the bunny’s face. Using edge of 1 round cake pan or medium bowl with thin sides, cut 2 convex ears from opposite sides of second cake round. Arrange ears above bunny’s face and remaining piece underneath face as the bunny’s collar. Spread yogurt frosting all over cake. Chill in the refrigerator to let frosting set, about 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, arrange the sliced strawberries on ears and as bunny’s bowtie and nose. Place the banana slices as bunny’s cheeks and eyes. Place the blueberries on banana slices as bunny’s irises. Arrange the carrot matchsticks as the bunny’s whiskers. Decorate platter with additional fruit, if desired. Serve within 1 hour.
To keep the platter clean, arrange additional strips of parchment underneath the edges of cakes before frosting. Frost and decorate cake, then gently pull away strips before serving.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- April 2021
- Calories 330kcal 16%
- Fat 13.1g 20%
- Saturated fat 3.9g 19%
- Carbs 46.6g 16%
- Sodium 354mg 15%
- 32.4g sugar
- 0.0g fiber
- 6.3g protein
- 52mg cholesterol