Chicken is braised in a flavorful, veggie-packed tomato sauce in this version of an Italian-American comfort food classic that leaves enough leftovers for dinner the next night.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 (4 ¼ lb) chicken leg quarters value pack (about 4 leg quarters)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 (8 oz) pkg sliced white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium-high. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with the flour. In batches, add chicken to Dutch oven and cook 4–5 min. per side, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- To Dutch oven, add remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Cook 6–8 min., until onion is softened, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic and oregano and cook 1 min., stirring constantly. Add the wine and cook 3–4 min., until reduced by half. Stir in both cans of tomatoes.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven and heat mixture to a boil. Cover with lid and transfer to the oven. Braise in oven 40–45 min., until chicken is fully cooked. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the parsley, if desired.
To serve as another meal for 4, after cooking reserve 1 leg quarter and 2 cups tomato sauce. Remove chicken from bones, discarding skin, and shred. Cook 1 (24 oz) bag frozen cheese ravioli according to package directions and drain. In a microwave-safe dish, heat sauce and chicken until warm. Toss with the ravioli and serve garnished with ¼ cup grated Parmesan.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Guiding Stars
- May 2021
- Calories 513kcal 26%
- Fat 34.0g 52%
- Saturated fat 9.0g 45%
- Carbs 18.0g 6%
- Sodium 419mg 17%
- 8.0g sugar
- 4.0g fiber
- 33.0g protein
- 164mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?