This affordable vegetarian pasta dinner gets its flavor from cooking grated zucchini and sweet onion down into a delicious "sauce” that’s made even tastier with the addition of Parmesan.
- 2 large zucchini (about 1 lb)
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz farfalle pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high. Using a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini and onion on the largest holes. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add zucchini and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables 20 min., until tender and caramelized, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cook the farfalle according to package directions, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Drain well in a colander.
- When vegetables are browned and very tender, add the garlic. Cook 2 min., stirring often. Remove skillet from heat. Add farfalle to skillet, stirring to combine. Stir in reserved cooking liquid 2 tbsp at a time, as needed. Add the Parmesan and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is
- June 2021
- Nut Free
- Budget Friendly
- Guiding Stars
- $10 Meals
- Egg Free