Crumbly, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth scones are packed with sweet apples and topped with a cinnamon-sugar sprinkle. This pastry passes as a breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (about 2 small apples) Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the butter to flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or hands, quickly work butter into flour mixture until it is evenly distributed in pea-size pieces. To the bowl, add milk, egg, and vanilla, stirring and folding until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in the apples.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead just until dough comes together. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and shape into a round loaf (about 1½ inches tall). Cut loaf to form 8 wedges and separate, spacing 2 inches apart.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated or raw sugar and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon. Brush the tops of scones with heavy cream and then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake 25–28 min., until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- In Season
- September 2021