A comforting soup transforms into the perfect topping for fluffy baked potatoes for an easy, affordable vegetarian dinner.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 (12 oz) pkg SteamReady Broccoli Florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil and bake 45–50 min., until easily pierced with a knife.
- When potatoes are almost done, microwave the broccoli according to package directions. Meanwhile, add the butter to a medium pot on medium-high. When melted, whisk in the flour and cook 30 sec., stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and slowly pour in the milk. Simmer 3–5 min., until thickened, stirring occasionally. Once thickened, remove from heat. Stir in the cheese. Cut any large broccoli pieces into smaller ones and stir into cheese sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once potatoes are baked, carefully remove from foil and cut in half lengthwise. Fluff potatoes a bit and season with salt and pepper. Top potatoes with broccoli and cheese mixture. Garnish with the chives, if desired, and serve immediately.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- October November 2021
- Budget Friendly
- Guiding Stars
- $10 Meal