This hearty dish of red wine–based beef stew brimming with carrots and potatoes will feed the entire family for dinner or do double duty as an entrée for entertaining entrée.
- ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (½ oz) pkg Nature's Promise Organic Roasting Blend (fresh parsley, thyme, and rosemary)
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 large russet potatoes (about 1 lb), scrubbed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To a medium bowl, add the flour, and season with salt and pepper. To bowl, add the beef, tossing to coat. In a large heavy-duty oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high. Add beef in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook each batch about 5 min., until golden on all sides. Transfer browned meat to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, 5–7 min., until mostly softened. Stir in tomato paste, letting cook 30 sec.–1 min. Add the vinegar, wine, and beef broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape any bits stuck to the bottom. Return beef to pot, adding the thyme and rosemary sprigs from the herb roasting blend. Season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover, and then transfer to oven. Cook 1½–2 hours, until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the carrots on a bias into 1-inch rounds. Dice the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. When beef is tender, carefully stir in carrots and potatoes. Return to oven uncovered and bake 25–35 min., until vegetables are tender. Remove herb sprigs before serving. Chop the parsley from herb blend and garnish stew.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- one pot
- Nut Free
- October November 2021
- Guiding Stars
- Meal Prep
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free