Wow your guests this holiday season with a mash-up of a silky Southern sweet potato pie and a pecan pie that makes an impressive dessert.
- ½ (15 oz) pkg refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crust, room temperature
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (around 5 ½ cups)
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Fit a 9-inch pie plate with the pie crust, trimming and crimping edges. Top with parchment and pie weights or dried beans. Bake 10 min. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake another 5 min. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil on high. Add the sweet potatoes and cook 12–15 min., until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes very well.
- To a food processor, add cooked sweet potatoes, butter, eggs, ½ cup brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Purée mixture 30 sec.–1 min., until smooth. Pour sweet potato mixture into prepared par-cooked pie crust. Cover the edges with foil to prevent excess browning. Bake 40–45 min., until filling is just set and doesn’t jiggle in the center.
- Remove pie from oven. Lay pecans flat on the top of pie in circular pattern, fully coating pie. In a small pot on medium heat, combine remaining 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1½ tsp water, and a pinch of salt. Cook 1 min., until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over pecans, covering them all. Let pie cool completely and then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
This recipe is
- October November 2021