Bring on grilling season. This low-carb salad pairs steak with meaty portabella mushrooms. Jarred pesto skips the pasta here and acts instead as a flavorful salad dressing.
- 1 (14 oz) 4-count pkg whole-cap portobella mushrooms
- ¾ lb skirt steak
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup jarred pesto
- 1 (5 oz) bag spring mix
- ⅓ cup grated cotija or crumbled queso fresco cheese
- Trim stems of the mushrooms. With a spoon, scrape and discard gills from mushroom caps. Brush mushrooms and steak with 1 tbsp oil each, and season with salt and pepper.
- Set a grill or grill pan to high. Grill steak and mushrooms 3–4 min. per side, until steak has reached desired doneness and mushrooms are tender. Transfer both to a cutting board. Let steak rest for 10 min.
- To a large bowl, add the pesto. Stir in 1–2 tbsp water until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mixed greens and toss. Thinly slice steak and mushrooms. Top salad with mushrooms, steak, and the cotija cheese. Serve immediately.
This recipe is
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- 30 minutes
- Guiding Stars
- September 2021