Green onions are the star of these rich and delicious vegetarian dinner noodles which are a traditional comfort food in China.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 bunches green onions, white and green parts cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 4 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 (8 oz) pkg Chinese or lo mein noodles
- 3 heads baby bok choy, thinly sliced
- To a deep 12-inch skillet or wok, off the heat, add the oil and green onions. Heat pan on medium-low. Cook 15–20 min., stirring occasionally, until green onions are just golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and 1 tbsp water, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on high. Add the noodles and cook 2 min. Add the bok choy and cook 1 min., until noodles are tender. Drain, rinse well under cold water, and drain well.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer fried green onions to a paper towel–lined plate and reserve for serving. Reduce heat to low. Carefully add soy sauce mixture to oil in pan. Cook 2 min., until mixture starts to bubble. Add noodles and bok choy to pan and toss well to coat evenly. Divide noodle mixture among 4 bowls. Top with fried green onions.
Can’t find lo mein or Chinese noodles? You can substitute ramen noodles (remove and discard flavor packets).
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- May 2022
- 30 minutes
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free