These chocolatey pecan bars (based on a classic Kentucky pie) are sure to bring home a win, whether or not you’re watching the horse race.
- Cooking spray
- 1 (14.1 oz) box refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp bourbon (optional)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment. Coat with the cooking spray. Place one pie crust on top of the other (to create a slightly thicker crust) and roll out to a 9x13-inch rectangle. Transfer to baking pan. Bake 10 min. (the crust will not be fully cooked) and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and bourbon, if using. Heat over medium-low, stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil on high and cook 3 min. Remove from heat and stir in the pecans.
- Carefully pour pecan mixture over crust. Sprinkle ½ cup chocolate chips over filing. Bake 35–40 min., until bars are golden. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15-sec. increments, stirring after each, until melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over bars and cool until set. Cut into 5 rows; cut each row into 4 pieces.
This recipe is
- May 2022
- Egg Free