Taking inspiration from the popular French onion soup, these cheesy, gooey burgers are packed with flavor and topped with caramelized onions. Serve for an easy, family-friendly dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 (1 oz) pkg onion soup & dip mix
- 4 hamburger buns or split ciabatta rolls
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil and butter. Add the onions and season with salt. Sauté 5 min., until beginning to brown. Add 2 tbsp water and scrape up any brown bits on bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low and cook 20 min., until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the beef and onion soup mix. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into 4 equal-size patties. Grease grill or grill pan and set to medium. Brush cut sides of the buns or rolls with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Place bread on grill and heat until toasted, 1–2 min. per side.
- Place patties on grill or grill pan and cook 3–4 min. per side, until desired doneness. During last minute of cooking, place 1 slice cheese on each burger and cover to melt. Serve on grilled rolls and top with caramelized onions.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- 30 Minute
- June 2022
- Egg Free