Using an Instant Pot® makes this smoky, meltingly tender pork recipe easy to prepare at home. Serve with white rice and/or creamy macaroni salad—both staple sides in Hawaii.
- 1 (4 lb) boneless pork butt
- 1 (4.6 oz) grinder Nature's Promise® Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Cut the pork butt into 2–3 pieces and pierce all over with a fork. Season with 1 tsp pink sea salt and let sit at room temperature 30 min.
- To Instant Pot®, add the chicken stock and liquid smoke. Add pork pieces and seal Instant Pot. Set to high pressure and cook 1 hr. Let natural release for 20 min. Quick release remaining pressure.
- Core and cut the cabbage into 6 wedges. Transfer cooked pork to a large bowl. Add cabbage wedges to cooking liquid in Instant Pot®. Seal and set to high pressure for 3 min., until tender. Quick release.
- Meanwhile, shred cooked pork in bowl with two forks. Divide the rice, pork, and cabbage among shallow serving bowls. Spoon cooking liquid over pork.
You can also serve the pork and cabbage with creamy macaroni salad from the deli.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- instant pot
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- May 2022
- Guiding Stars
- Meal Prep
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free