Fresh watermelon juice and marshmallow whipped cream make the filling similar to a mousse. Try this classic Southern dessert for your next summer cookout or backyard barbecue.
- ½ (3 ½ lb) pre-cut seedless watermelon wedge
- 1 (0.25 oz) pkg unflavored gelatin
- Pinch kosher salt
- Red food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup marshmallow creme, divided
- 3 tbsp confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker pie crust
- Cut the watermelon into large chunks. To a blender, add watermelon chunks and process 20 sec., until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large liquid measuring cup, aiming for 1 cup watermelon juice. Discard solids and save any extra juice for another use.
- To a large heatproof bowl, add ¼ cup watermelon juice. Sprinkle the gelatin over watermelon juice and let sit 5 min. to bloom. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat ½ cup watermelon juice over medium 1–2 min., until steaming. Do not boil juice. When steaming, add hot watermelon juice to gelatin mixture and whisk to dissolve gelatin. Add the salt, 2–3 drops food coloring, if using, and remaining ¼ cup watermelon juice. Stir until combined and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1 cup heavy cream, ½ cup marshmallow creme, and 1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on high 3 min., until stiff peaks form. Add ⅓ of whipped cream mixture to cooled watermelon mixture and fold to combine. Add watermelon mixture to remaining whipped cream mixture, and gently fold until smooth. Transfer filling to the graham cracker crust. Refrigerate 1 hour, until firm.
- When ready to serve, combine remaining 1 cup heavy cream, ½ cup marshmallow creme, and 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on high 3 min., until stiff peaks form. Pipe marshmallow whipped cream on top of pie, leaving a 1-inch border. Slice and serve.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- July August 2022
- Egg Free