This 5-ingredient recipe is inspired by Mexican chile relleno. Try serving this casserole with Mexican crema or sour cream as a garnish.
- 6 large poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅔ cup Bisquick
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat broiler. Position an oven rack 4–6 inches from top. Place the poblano peppers on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, cut-sides down. Broil 10 min., until blistered. When blistered all over, remove peppers and transfer to medium bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at least 10 min. When cool, remove skin from peppers.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. To a 10-inch skillet on medium, add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook 8–10 min., until fully cooked. Drain any excess fat.
- In a greased 9x9-inch baking dish, place half of poblano halves. Layer with half of beef, remaining poblanos, and remaining beef. Top with ¾ cup cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Bisquick, eggs, and 1 cup water. Season with salt and whisk until smooth. Pour mixture over baking dish. Top with remaining ¾ cup cheese. Bake 45–50 min., until puffed and browned.
You can also use canned whole poblano peppers, drained. Remove stems and seeds and open the peppers so the flesh side lies flat.
This recipe is
- September 2022
- Nut Free
- 5 ingredient
- Five Ingredients
- take 5
- Hispanic Heritage Month