This savory gravy is packed with meaty, umami flavors from a mix of mushrooms and soy sauce. Using a slow cooker frees up space on the stove for the holidays, and everyone from meat-eaters to vegans will love this recipe.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 (8 oz) pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 (3.5 oz) pkg sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ cups low-sodium vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus more, if desired
- In a small skillet on medium-high or 2-qt slow cooker set to saute function, heat the oil. Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook 8-10 min., until onions are translucent and mushrooms have softened, stirring often.
- Add the flour and cook 1 min., until flour is absorbed, stirring constantly. While whisking, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. If using a skillet, transfer to 2-qt slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 1 hour, until gravy is thickened. After simmering, add a little more vegetable stock to thin to desired consistency as needed. Add more fresh thyme, if desired.
- Turn off heat and let cool briefly. Carefully use an immersion blender to purée gravy until smooth. Set to “keep warm” function to serve, or transfer to a gravy boat. To make ahead, cool completely and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To reheat, heat in slow cooker on "keep warm" or low function until warm.
This recipe is
- Slow Cooker
- Dairy Free
- Plant Forward
- October November 2022
- plant based
- Guiding Stars
- Egg Free
- Nut Free
- Celebration Moments
- Lactose Free