If you grew up with cola-glazed hams for the holidays, you’ll love this new version with ginger beer. Fresh sage also flavors the glaze and makes this stunning main dish even more festive.
- 1 (12 oz) bottle ginger beer
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 1 (0.5 oz) pkg Nature's Promise® Organic Sage, divided
- 1 orange
- 1 (8- 10 lb) spiral-sliced, bone-in half ham
- In a medium saucepan, combine the ginger beer, brown sugar, ginger, soy sauce, ground cloves, and half of the sage. Bring to a boil on high, then reduce heat to low and simmer 25–30 min., until reduced by two-thirds. Set aside to cool completely. Once cooled, remove and discard fresh ginger and sage. Zest the orange; stir zest into glaze.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Fit a roasting pan with a rack and fill with ½-inch water. Place ham on rack flat-side down. Brush ham with half of the glaze. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake 14 min. per pound (about 2 hours to 2 hours 30 min.).
- Halfway through cooking, remove ham from oven and uncover. Brush ham all over with remaining glaze. Continue baking, uncovered, basting occasionally with pan juices. Let rest 10 min. To serve, slice ham off the bone and transfer to a platter. Decorate platter with remaining sage leaves. Slice orange into wedges to garnish platter, if desired.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- Guiding Stars
- Celebration Moments
- December 2022
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free