These dairy-free chocolate cookies have a secret surprise inside: a gooey peanut butter center. Freezing the centers first makes them easy to shape and stuff inside the chocolate dough.
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted plant based butter, room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- In a medium bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together ½ cup peanut butter and the confectioners’ sugar 1–2 min., until smooth. Add ½ tsp salt and stir to combine. Scoop peanut butter mixture in heaping teaspoonfuls (about 24) onto a parchment-lined plate. Shape mounds into balls. Freeze while making chocolate dough.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together the plant-based butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and remaining ¼ cup peanut butter 2–3 min., until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat 1–2 min., until combined. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Beat on low 1–2 min., until combined.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment. To a small bowl, add remaining 2 tbsp granulated sugar. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, scoop a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and shape into a 3-inch-wide disc. Add frozen peanut butter ball to center of disc; wrap dough around ball to enclose, then roll into a smooth ball. Add dough ball to granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Transfer to baking sheet and flatten slightly. Repeat with remaining cookie dough and frozen peanut butter balls.
- Bake cookies 8–10 min. Let cool on baking sheets 5 min., then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- 30 Minute
- Thirty Minutes
- Celebration Moments
- December 2022
- Lactose Free