These cookies can be filled with any type of fruit jam or cream cheese.
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup preferred jam or preserves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in 2 eggs, zest, and vanilla, blending thoroughly. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Cover dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled. Dust your work surface and rolling pin with flour, then roll the dough into a ¼-inch thick layer. Using a cookie cutter, cut out
2 ½-inch rounds. Place a teaspoon of jam or preserves in the center of each round. Fold edges toward center to form a triangle, leaving some filling visible. Pinch edges together to seal.
- Place the hamantaschen about 1 inch apart on a lightly greased, parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat remaining egg and brush over the top of each hamantaschen. Bake for 10–12 min., or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- December 2017
- Cookies Around the World Cookbook